How to Cope with the Death of Google Reader

Mobile phone number list for mass text marketing.
Jannat12

How to Cope with the Death of Google Reader

Post by Jannat12 »

How to Cope with the Death of Google Reader You know the stages. First, denial. “No way, dude, that’s got to be a rumor.” Then anger. “Don’t Be Evil my $%&! How could they do this to me?” Bargaining. “Could a new version of Google Reader really save Digg?” Depression. “I can haz no more LOLz.” And finally, we come to acceptance. Yes, it’s true. Google Reader really is going away on July 1. So if you haven’t rustled up an alternative yet, it’s time. If you’re a Google Reader user, obviously you need a new tool to read your subscriptions.

We have a few thoughts for you Phone Number List on that. But if you’re a content publisher, you’ll also need to make sure that your audience has a way to continue tuning in for everything you do. Feel free to point your audience to this post, or you may want to craft a message of your own with more individualized suggestions for your audience’s needs. But be sure you send out a clear, specific call to action and keep those subscribers on board — no one wants to lose a big chunk of their audience just because a tool goes away. Option 1 — alternate RSS readers If you’re sticking with RSS, you’ll need to pick your new reader of choice. Feedly is seeing a lot of takers, and they have a handy one-click Google Reader import. They also have more detailed migration instructions here: Tips for Google reader users migrating to feedly. If for some reason feedly doesn’t ring your chimes, Marketing Land has published a useful list of other options: 12 Google Reader Alternatives. Option 2 — subscribing by email RSS is a great technology — but it doesn’t work well for everyone.

Some readers just never embraced the day-to-day workflow of reading in an RSS reader. And some of those folks are almost certainly in your audience. One communication technology that works brilliantly for a lot of readers is email. It’s familiar and it’s already integrated into their daily habits. Email subscribers also tend to be just plain more responsive than those who read you in an RSS reader. They read more, interact more, and — if your content is supporting a business — they buy more. If you’re a content publisher but you personally can’t stand email — get over it. Email works. You may love RSS (lots of web writers do), but a good chunk of your readers don’t. So if it isn’t already, get your feed set up to deliver via email (I happen to like Aweber for this, and it’s what we use on Copyblogger) and give your subscribers the option of choosing what works best for them … whether it’s your personal preference or not.